Having children changes us, changes our partners and changes our relationships.
As Professor Matthew D. Johnson, who is a Professor of Psychology and Director of the Marriage and Family Studies Laboratory, in New York states:
“For around 30 years, researchers have studied how having children affects a marriage, and the results are conclusive: the relationship between spouses suffers once kids come along. Comparing couples with and without children, researchers found that the rate of the decline in relationship satisfaction is nearly twice as steep for couples who have children than for childless couples.”
Having children changes the way we interact with each other. Whether it’s because:
- we’re sleep deprived
- or we have different parenting styles
- or we’ve experienced an identity shift – from wife to mother, or husband to father, or lovers to parents
- or just the mundane tasks of parenting consume our time and energy
The impact of becoming parents can be tough on the relationship we have with our partner. Add in a demanding career, and things can get very tricky to maintain a loving and successful relationship with our partners.
When we have children we have to work harder to keep our relationship strong and healthy. We have to become intentional about how we connect.
So this week’s guest is a relationship expert and has a huge amount of experience working with couples who are struggling. Nicki Vee has trained with some of the world’s top relationship experts.
Nicki and her husband Tony are known at the ‘Relationship Couple’. They work with couples whose relationships have deteriorated. Tony & Nicki are often referred to as the UK’s leading ‘Relationship Couple’ assisting couples experience what they describe as ‘The Ultimate Intimate Relationship’.
As a working mum with two failed marriages, and now a very successful third marriage, she has some powerful insights to share with us from her own journey.
In this episode Nicki shares:
- How two failed marriages led her to finding true love [3:15]
- That so many women have used our strength in ways that aren’t always compatible with a loving home life [5:45]
- The damage equality can do to our intimate relationship [13:40]
- How being an achievement driven woman can lead to an excess of male hormones in our system which can negatively impact our relationship [17:30]
- The impact on us physically if we live our lives in a masculine paradigm [21:00]
- The impact on our children if we don’t truly learn how to create and sustain a successful intimate relationship [25:10]
- How stepping into her true feminine power transformed her relationships and her work [30:21]
- Her advice for women that are in a relationship but find themselves tired and often frustrated [39:48]
- A powerful four step model to turn a difficult relationship around [41:50]
- The tough question she asks her clients [43:20]
- A challenging insight that can heal and positively impact our relationships……miraculously [47:50]
Links in this episode:
If you’re not currently in a relationship – Let Him Find You