Do you struggle to have enough energy to do the things you want and need to do? If you do, then this episode of the Wisdom For Working Mums’ podcast show is for you!
After having my first child I never imagined how hard it would be to physically recover. When I stopped breastfeeding I hit a brick wall. I literally didn’t have the energy to stand up some days. I felt weak and thought I was a failure. Other mothers seemed to have ‘bounced back’ physically & seemed to be thriving.
I, on the other hand, found myself on my knees most days drained and bone achingly fatigued. I was told by the medical profession that I was ‘just a new mum’ and that ‘all new mums are tired’. But I knew something wasn’t right. I just didn’t know what. That was until I met this week’s podcast guest, the amazing Jo Gamble from Embracing Nutrition. Jo is a Nutritional Therapist and certified Functional Medicine Practitioner.
Jo not only diagnosed the cause of my fatigue but helped me get back to the best health of my life. She also got me pregnant…….don’t worry my husband was involved! After suffering multiple miscarriages I was giving up hope of having another child until I worked with Jo again. Through her completely natural approach I was able to have my little baby girl.
From conversations with working mothers I know I’m not alone in struggling with having enough energy to do all the things that are important to me in my life. And with Jo’s help I’ve been able to.
So you’ll understand why I wanted to share Jo and her incredible work with you here. She supports her clients through her business Embracing Nutrition. Her passion is working with clients who have complex health symptoms to empower them back to health.
In this episode Jo shares:
- How she started her career as nutritional therapist and how food is a powerful medicine [3.35]
- Her favourite question and how it supports her in helping her clients solve their health issues [5:19]
- Her route into becoming a Functional Medicine Practitioner – digging down deeper into the route cause of health issues [6.15]
- How empowering and educating people are her two best skills [10.01]
- How her daughter becoming seriously ill fuelled her passion for nutrition and health [11.05]
- How her daughter being given chemotherapy at the age of 2.5yrs old led to an even more serious health crisis and a powerful consultation that changed the path of Jo’s life [15.05]
- How her knowledge enabled her daughter to go into remission from her health issues without medication despite being told she would be in a wheelchair by the age of 5 [18.39]
- How her daughter is her daily motivation to want to better herself to not only support her but other people [19.45]
- How her own experience as a vulnerable mum makes her passionate about supporting other mothers and their children [20:11]
- The common challenges she sees in her busy practice for working mums and the impact on their health [21.29]
- The impact of perfectionism on women’s health [24:00]
- How tired mums often turn to artificial energy sources which make our health worse [29:25]
- Her advice to support mums have as much energy and wellbeing as possible [30:30]
- How working with mums helps to prevent disease in their children too [36.02]
- Her top tip for children who are fussy eaters and to make healthy eating achievable for families [37.50]
- A powerful metaphor to help create the foundations for health starting with gut health [39.51]
- Her mantra ” we have to invest in wellness or we have to make time for illness” [44.45 ]
- How the statistics for illness are shocking and empowering ourselves to counteract the impact of modern day living is so important [45:10]
- How lifestyle medicine of sleep, movement and relaxation are just as important as nutrition. That as busy working mums these are often the things that suffer [45:27]
- Her 10 minutes a day of self-care shopping list [46:50]
- Her rallying call for working mums [48;57]
Links from this episode: