Only a few years ago… I was running hard and fast to keep up with my never-ending to-do list. And letting my health and personal life fall to the bottom of this list.
I tried telling myself that I had no choice.
That this was what it took if I wanted to maintain my success.
But deep down I knew it wasn’t sustainable. I knew something would have to give, eventually.
And I was right…
I burned out……finally being diagnosed with adrenal fatigue.
And without effective strategies to help myself, I walked away from my hard-won career. It took this happening to me twice before I really learned my lessons. Those lessons were painful but they were transformational.
Here are the top lessons I learned:
1.You can have it all but you can’t do it all
- Decide what’s really important – not what society tells you is important.
- Really scope out what success and happiness look and feel like for you.
- Focus on the essentials; it’s not about doing more, but about doing the right things well.
- Now work out who you need around you to make this happen – you aren’t meant to do this alone. There are no medals for trying to be too strong and independent – the only badge you’ll win for trying to do this is the burnout one.
2.As a career-orientated woman you can be a good mother but it might not fit the cultural mould of what motherhood looks like (in fact it’s unlikely it will)
- Instead of looking externally for the role model of your life you have to self-source it.
- What works for other women won’t necessarily work for you – although there are always things to learn and appreciate about how others are doing it.
- The only way to find your blueprint for success as a working mum is to create it from the inside out.
- Looking outside for your success blueprint will always take you off course for what’s right for you.
3.If you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed it’s not your fault
- You don’t need a new project management tool.
- You don’t need to go on a time management course.
- If you’re feeling burned out and lacking balance you don’t need to just meditate more. Although meditation can and does help, let’s not just treat the symptoms, let’s address the cause.
- You’re a woman in a masculine paradigm trying to squeeze your hopes and dreams into a system that’s not fit for purpose.
- You can’t solve the problem with the same thinking that created this.
I now use my experience as inspiration to help women to find new ways of working and new ways of being. One where women can have successful careers but can also prioritise the things that matter most – like their health and their loved ones.
Today I get to help women to succeed in their careers and their lives and not feel they have to make unhelpful compromises to achieve this. So they can finally enjoy their success.
If you want to take back control over your health and personal life without stepping back in your career, book a discovery call with me today.
You deserve to feel healthy and vibrant.
You deserve a life that you can enjoy, not just endure.
We’re genuine, like-minded women, just like you!
We’re a community, reinventing how we combine work and motherhood without sacrificing our sanity and wellbeing.