As working mums we’ve probably heard a million times how important self-care is for us to have the energy to do everything. Most of the messages out there on the topic are quite frankly patronising or unrealistic.
My experience is that most of us know how important it is but find it damn difficult to carve out the time or space to actually do it. But if self-care is the answer to us having the energy to do everything we want in life without losing our sanity and wellbeing, how do we actually integrate it into our lives in a way that works for us?
Well today’s guest on the Wisdom For Working Mums’ podcast show has the answers for us. Suzy Reading is a Chartered Psychologist specialising in wellbeing, stress management and facilitation of healthy lifestyle change
She’s passionate about empowering people with the tools of self-care to help them weather and recover from periods of stress, loss and change and to boost resilience in the face of future challenges.
She’s author of The Self-Care Revolution and Stand Tall Like A Mountain; Mindfulness and Self Care for Children and Parents.
Suzy is also a busy working mother of two. She’s a yoga teacher and health coach. She’s a contributing editor for Psychologies Magazine and the Psychology Expert for wellbeing brand Neom Organics.
In this episode Suzy shares:
- How motherhood colliding with the terminal illness of her father made her passion for this subject so important and how self care was pivotal in her healing journey [5:15]
- She learnt the hard way that if you don’t look after yourself you can’t nourish those within your care [6:04]
- A practical toolkit that makes such a tangible difference to everyday life [6.25]
- How when we become a mother our previous ways of looking after ourselves often become inaccessible [7.55]
- Her approach for self-care as health care – not ‘me first’ but ‘me as well’ approach [9.50]
- Her definition of self-care which includes a very powerful distinction [10:45]
- Five powerful reasons why it’s important for working mums to have daily self-care
- An amazing self-care framework to refer to that’s really accessible in the moment [20:10]
- What to do when we can’t get good quality sleep as mothers [21:25]
- A powerful coping tool when feeling anxiety, overwhelmed or stressed [27.35]
- What to do if you feel like you don’t have time, money or energy for self-care [31:15]
- A simple practice that helps counteract the unsung nature of motherhood [39:55]
- A simple exercise to turn good intentions of self-care into reality [41:50]
- How proactively building a super simple self-care tool kit is vital [42:09]
Links in this episode:
Subscribe and Review
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to get subscribed as I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding bonus episodes and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too (or your favourite podcast platform). Those reviews help other people find my podcast so you’ll be helping another working mum find this resource. Plus I also love to go in and read them. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!